Sunday, December 12, 2004

Predictions for Pakistan's tour of Australia

Pakistan's tour of Australia is surely a mouth-watering prospect. Talented, aggressive and passionate players on both sides, who dont give an inch. Couple that with result-oreinted Australian pitches, demanding fans and volatile tempers on both sides, there is a considerable potential for drama and entertainment. I am sure a lot of us are planning to follow the series closely.

The early exchanges have been disappointing for Pakistan, but I think we need to keep in mind that no team from the sub-continent has ever done well in Western Australia (Perth). When India went Down under last year, they really struggled during the solitary one-dayer at Perth at the end of the tour, after having a wonderful batting tour until that point. Hence, I think the contest will become more competitive as the action shifts to the other centers after Perth and as the batsmen come to better terms with the bounce.

I would not want to stick my neck out too much on the outcome of the series, but I can hazard a prediction on the outcome for the Perth Test - Pakistan will most probably lose due to its batting. Melbourne and Sydney - however - in my opinion, can go either way. The reason - Inzamam and Youhana will in my opinion do enough with the bat to allow Shoaib Akhtar and Co. to have some cushion to play with. I am not predicting Pakistan will win, but there will be the mouth watering drama we are all expecting.

No comments: